Africa / International News

Nigeria: Ex-security adviser detained over missing billions

FILE- In this  Tuesday, Sept.1, 2015 file photo, Nigeria's former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki attends a hearing to face charges of possessing weapons illegally, at the Federal High Court in Abuja, Nigeria. Nigeria’s leader has ordered the arrest of the former president’s national security adviser for allegedly stealing billions of dollars meant to buy weapons to fight Boko Haram Islamic extremists rampaging across northeast Nigeria. “Thousands of needless Nigerian deaths would have been avoided” if the money had been properly spent, Femi Adesina, an adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari, said in a statement Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015  (AP Photo/ file)

FILE- In this Tuesday, Sept.1, 2015 file photo, Nigeria’s former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki attends a hearing to face charges of possessing weapons illegally, at the Federal High Court in Abuja, Nigeria. Nigeria’s leader has ordered the arrest of the former president’s national security adviser for allegedly stealing billions of dollars meant to buy weapons to fight Boko Haram Islamic extremists rampaging across northeast Nigeria. “Thousands of needless Nigerian deaths would have been avoided” if the money had been properly spent, Femi Adesina, an adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari, said in a statement Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015 (AP Photo/ file)

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — Agents from Nigeria’s intelligence and financial crimes agencies have detained the former presidential security adviser and several others over missing billions of dollars meant to buy weapons to fight Boko Haram.

PR Nigeria, which publishes government news, said the Department of State Security on Tuesday took former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki to its offices for questioning. Dasuki has said he is innocent.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission arrested former minister of state for finance Bashir Yuguda and other officials accused in the arms scandal, according to an official who insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to brief reporters.

They are the first detentions since President Muhammadu Buhari on Nov. 18 ordered the arrests of former officials allegedly involved in fraudulent arms contracts worth $5.4 billion.

 

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Advertisement